Dressing is not just an everyday routine – it’s an intellectual game. In the professional world, “properly dressed” is one of your duties, and have to take it seriously. It is essential to look prepared and put-together at all times. For those entering the workforce or for those moving into a different industry, it’s important to do a little research and figure out what’s most appropriate. In some industries, what’s sexy or edgy can be downright offensive in others. The space between these extremes is where creative thinkers and dressers can play.
We encourage our clientele to think of dressing for work just like they would any other game. First you get a little competitive; then you try to find the best looks for the best price, all the while making a positive statement and always looking polished.
Here are a few Don’ts for any professional workplace:
- Avoid a plunging neckline or overt cleavage
- Do not allow more than 3 inches above the knee with bare legs
- Do not wear sheer or see-through fabrics with no foundation
- Don’t show your undergarments (bra, underwear)
- Do not wear clothing that is overly tight and formfitting
- Do not show a visible midriff or open back
- Avoid the “super low-rise.”
- Avoid flip flops or slippers
- Avoid “dramatic” or “cocktail hour” make-up
- Avoid dramatic hairstyles
- Do not wear anything torn or broken
Do you agree? Have we missed anything? Tell us in the comments below, or via your social feeds.
For more image tips or info at www.nycimageconsultantacademy.com