Nowadays, it seems we are constantly being included in photos. At the dinner table, outside restaurants, between sessions at a conference, and now, especially, on our once-sacred “lounge days” during vacation. We document the people we’re with while we’re at the places we love!
The catch to all this documentation is that few of us can afford to bring a professional lighting crew and “glam squad” around at all times to accentuate our best assets! You don’t have to have the resources of an A-lister, however, to be prepared and look your best in nearly every photo taken.
Here are a few tips we’ve shared with clients this year:
- If you anticipate that you’ll be photographed in advance of an outing, apply your makeup according to the lighting you expect
- Try to stand with the sun/light source behind the camera, so that you are front lit. It’s much easier to filter a photo later that’s been front lit than the opposite; check out Afterlight as a great app to correct great backlit shots (available for IOS, Android and Windows phones)h
- If you’ll be outside, try to avoid sparkle in foundations and eye makeup. Glitter often accentuates your fine lines and will age you
- Avoid wearing too much blush, and when you do, blend it in well
- Use a light-reflecting concealer to combat dark circles under the eyes
- Use an anti-shine crème to keep your skin matte
- It’s ok to cheat the camera. Stand sideways, cross your legs to slim the body, and always try to twist your shoulders to face the photographer
- Do not chew gum, and always mind your posture
- If you’ll be with friends, politely ask to be photographed from your “better side,” if it feels appropriate
- Do not ask waiters or strangers to take additional rounds after the first shot(s). They have not been hired to help you document your evening; be ok with a shot or two, and then let it be.
And, in case you need to get ready for photos in a pinch, here are a few tricks for the ladies:
- Create subtle, smoky eyes with eye shadow and your fingertips
- Smooth out flyaways with your hands
- Plump up your eyelash volume with a curler or volumizing mascara
- Bonus: always check your teeth for spinach and other delights!
How do you get ready for photos? Share with us ……